Ah, another Saturday, another stack of invitations to baby’s birthday parties. But what do you buy for the squishy toddler who has everything? Another toy to clutter up their living room? Their 10,000th stuffed animal? Or how about something fun and different that the parents might actually be excited about? Here are some of my favorites:
- Kid still in diapers? Bring diapers. Lots of diapers. You can’t go wrong.
- Building a child’s library is always a wonderful idea. Bring a few of your favorite children’s books and write a little note inside about why you love them.
- Think experiences rather than stuff: a gift card to Sweet Cream Co. for an ice cream date, a gift certificate for the Big Mo drive-in theater, or a gift certificate to The Mad Platter for some pottery painting fun!
- Feeling extra generous? Spring for a membership to the Riverbanks Zoo or Edventure for an entire year of fun outings!
- Think about the parents! (Let’s be honest, they’re the real heroes here.) Get them a gift card for a great dinner out and offer to babysit for free. Perhaps also bring a bottle of wine.
- When in doubt, ask the parents. Maybe they have a special toy or book in mind they’ve been hoping for. Or if you’re really lucky, the little cutie will have their own Amazon wish list.